In the 12th century the knight van Ophem came to Oppem, where he could build a farm and a chapel still exciting nowadays.

Since the 18th century the farm has its name Sterckxhof, owing to the cardinal Engelbert Sterckx (1792-1867), archbishop from Mechelen, who lived here. Engelbert(us) Sterckx was born in Oppem (Meise) in 1792 and died in Mechelen in 1867. Ordained Priest of Mechelen at the age of 22, Archbishop at 39, Engelbert was appointed Cardinal-Priest of San Bartolomeo all’Isola in 1838 at the age of 45. 

4th Generation

Since four generations the family Vanderhasselt has owned the farm. In 2001 a part of the farm has transformed into six Bed&Breakfast rooms, with a wonderful hostess - Chris Vanderhasselt.

“friendly staff, beautiful location”